The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) regulates the sale of insurance in Texas. To sell property and casualty insurance in Texas, you must have a license from the TDI.
The following are the requirements for obtaining a property and casualty insurance license in Texas:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a resident of Texas or have a valid Texas driver’s license.
- You must pass a exam.
- You must pass a background check.
- You must be appointed by an insurance company.
The prelicensing education course is provided by us, TSI. The course covers topics such as the basics of insurance, the Texas insurance code, and ethics. The exam is also administered by Pearson Vue.
The background check is conducted by the Texas Department of Public Safety. The check will look for any criminal history that would disqualify you from obtaining an insurance license.
Once you have met all of the requirements, you can apply for a property and casualty insurance license from the TDI. The application fee is $50.
The TDI will issue you a license if you pass the exam, pass the background check and apply for your license. You must then complete the required continuing education courses to keep your license active every 2 years.
The following are the continuing education requirements for property and casualty insurance licenses in Texas:
- You must complete 24 hours of continuing education every two years.
- At least 3 hours of the continuing education must be in ethics.
- The continuing education courses are provided by us, TSI.
You can find more information about the property and casualty insurance license requirements in Texas on the TDI website: https://www.tdi.texas.gov/agent/
Here are some additional tips for getting a property and casualty insurance license in Texas:
- Start by purchasing our prelicensing course at TSI National.
- Take the prelicensing education course and exam as soon as possible.
- Apply for a background check after passing the exam.
- Apply for a property and casualty insurance license as soon as you have met all of the requirements.
- Stay up-to-date on the continuing education requirements.
Obtaining a property and casualty insurance license in Texas can be a challenging process, but it is worth it if you want to work in the insurance industry. By following these tips, you can make the process easier and increase your chances of success.